Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Another race, another carbo-load

Believe it or not, eating bagel after bagel gets boring after awhile. Today I had my last run before my race. It was tough deciding if I should run 10 miles or cut it short. I haven't run longer than 8 miles since my race as I've been recovering. This week I would have done longer runs but with a 50K race coming up, it doesn't make much sense to do a long run.

I played it smart and ran just over 8 miles and I think it was the right decision. It amazes me that I keep forgetting how hard running 50K really is. I've been fortunate enough to do many of them but the reality is that it's longer than a marathon. In the past, when I was training to run a marathon, I approached "race week" quite differently. Now that I'm becoming more experienced, I feel like I could run a marathon or more every week if I needed to. It's amazing how quickly my body seems to respond to the extra mileage.

When I made the decision to run for distance over speed, I seemed to relax more than ususal and that has helped me with my running. I no longer go into a race thinking about beating a particular time. In fact, there was a point in the Seaton race, where I took Diane off the course to show her some of the lookout points at the Seaton trail. That is something you would rarely see at a road race.

During these next two days I'll be resting and eating more carbohydrates to get ready for my 50K race on Saturday. I have no idea how long it will take me but the longer I can stay out on the course, the better it will prepare me for the 100 miler in a few weeks. There is a good chance it will rain on Saturday so that will just add to the fun I'm sure.

No comments: