Thursday, April 17, 2008

I was the kid that others made fun of!

Yesterday I decided to take my kids out for dinner. Since I'm carbo-loading and I usually don't eat out that often, I figured it would be a good time to take them. Of course they picked their favorite and my least favorite restaurant, the Imperial Buffet. One of the reasons why I hate that place so much isn't just because the food is of low quality, it's also because I see so many people there who are overweight. More specifically, I see too many children there who are extremely overweight. It's one thing to be an adult and be overweight but when I see a child it brings back memories of my own childhood. The first thing I do when I see an overweight child is to look for their parents. More often they themselves are overweight too. A big part of me wants to run over there and tell them what kind of damage they are doing to their child (of course I never do but it's certainly tempting). Setting a good example isn't just something parents should think about doing, it should be the greatest gift they can give to their children.

There is a song by Tom Cochrane called "The Boy Inside the Man" and it's a song that exemplifies just how far I've travelled to get to where I am today. People often compliment me on my dedication and focus and sometimes I feel overwhelmed by it all. In my mind, I don't think I'm doing something that others can't do but I'm reminded that this isn't the case. When you find your passion in life, as I have with running, then anything you do to further enhance this doesn't seem like a chore. I feel like I've been given a gift and that I'm supposed to continue to develop it. Sometimes when I run I think about my life growing up as an overweight child. It was extremely traumatic as kids can be cruel but they also will give you an honest assessment of what they think. They may lack tact, but you can't blame them for their honesty. A big part of me wants to shout out to all the kids who made fun of my weight and show them where I am now. Here's the lyrics from that song:

So long so long so long he's been away
So long so long so long he's back again

When I turned seventeen
We had passion, we had dreams
Thought the love we were fighting for
Was something holy, something more

When I turned twenty-one
we were outside on the run
When I walked out with my girl
We went halfway around the world
CHORUS
I dreamed I saw her standing there
Running for the boy inside the man
I was hit hard by the light so bright it burned
All at once I knew she'd understand
Boy inside the man
The boy inside the man
When I turned twenty-five
We were hungry, we had drive
When I turned much older then
When the boy was lost in pride

Now I just turned thirty-one
I have lost and I have won
Still I've kept my dreams alive
'Cause the boy will never die
CHORUS
Ah do you understand
CHORUS

The boy inside the man
The boy inside the man
So long so long so long
You been away
So long so long so long
You're back again

Sister cool this face
As if it's carved in stone
Don't leave me in this place
Like a boy without a home (repeat)
Boy inside the man

No comments: