Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Riding my Crazy Train

As I was running early this morning, one of my favorite songs came on my mp3 (Crazy Train by Ozzy Osbourne) and I thought that song was appropriate given what I'm going to be doing in just over 2 weeks.

Whenever I mention to people that I'm running a 50 Mile race the most common response I get is, "are you crazy?" For some reason, running long distance doesn't garner the same respect as someone who is training for a Triathalon, for example. I've learned to live with that response although occasionally I'll chime in with a response like, "why can't you just call me dedicated?"

In any event, I really don't look for encouragement to drive my crazy train as I have plenty of that from within. I also know that come race day, there will be 20+ other runners all riding their own crazy train and I'll be more than happy to follow them for as long as I can.

At last count, there were 23 runners including myself, signed up for the race and interestingly enough, I'm the only one from the Ajax/Pickering area. That number may increase slightly, but probably to no more than 30. Last year there were 20 runners registered but only 13 that finished. I remember volunteering last year and the weather was in the mid teens with a slight breeze. I thought that it was a perfect weather day, at least for me, for running.

During my run I tried very hard to run as slow as possible so I could simulate the speed I want for the race. It's so difficult to run slower than you know you can and that's what takes discipline. Listening to music, as much as I love it, causes me to run faster so during the race I'm going to be very selective about when to start listening. My plan right now is not to listen to music until I start my third and final lap of the race.

No comments: