Monday, April 14, 2008

It's Race Week!

This is the start of what I like to call the final countdown to my race. All the hard work has been done, now all I can do is sit and wait for the day to come. In between now and Saturday morning, there are so many things I'll need to do and it will feel as if I don't have the time to do it. I will check and re-check my supplies about a dozen or more times. Make a trip to get some more gels, decide on what clothes to wear for the race. More than anything else, though, what I'll be doing is thinking.

My thoughts will turn almost exclusively this week to the race on Saturday. How will it look like? What obstacles will I have to overcome? I'll play out what I expect from the race and hope that it will match what actually happens.

With regards to my nutrition, I started the first of my last two days of the cleanse part of my detox. Once I hit Tuesday at midnight, though, I will ensure that I get myself properly loaded with carbohydrates, water and electrolytes. My favorite pre-race snacks are salted pretzels and I'll probably go through one or two large bags of these. I'll also reduce my fibre intake considerably starting on Wednesday so that I won't have to worry about an upset stomach come race day.

This week I'll be more focused than I usually am, which is scary for many of my friends to see. My running will consist of some light runs on Monday, Tuesday and possibly Wednesday and that will be followed by resting after that.

I like to watch some inspirational movies throughout the week and especially the night before. Some of my favorites include Rudy and Remember the Titans. I'll more than likely get more sleep two days before the race then the night before where I'll be a bundle of nerves.

Despite being a tough week for me, I actually do enjoy the fact that it is finally here.

No comments: