Sunday, April 06, 2008

Mental preparations start tomorrow

Tomorrow I start the first day of my 9-day Isagenix cleanse. This cleanse has more to do about getting mentally prepared for my race than simply what it's going to do to me physically.

Contrary to popular belief amongst my clients, I too have to deal with cravings and temptations on a daily basis. Running has helped to increase my inner strength so if I do have an edge on most people it's that I fell I can block out many things. My dilemma is that because I run so much, my body is constantly running out of fuel and I have to ensure that it is well stocked at all times. The best fuel for a runner is carbohydrates so my diet consists of anywhere from 50-60% carbohydrates with the rest coming from protein and fat.

The first two days of the cleanse will be especially hard as I continue to run while consuming very little food. Because I run in the morning, I won't alter my pre-run intake of 1/2 banana and 1 cup of tea. There are some things that just shouldn't be messed with and running is certainly one of them. It will be the post-run meal and the subsequent meals afterward, which will put my mind to the test.

I've told everyone who will listen that the Isagenix cleanse is more about mental inner strength than just a physical cleanse. There will be times on Monday and Tuesday where I will have to tell myself that I can go without food even though my mind will be saying EAT! This type of mental training will go a long way towards helping me prepare for my race. Instead of food, my mind on race day will be telling me to just stop running and go home. I will have to struggle with this for the majority of the race.

During my past cleanse I put more emphasis on the weight loss or inches lost, but because this cleanse is more about preparing for my race, I've decided not to put the numbers up. I will give an update on how things progress after day I.

No comments: