Friday, April 25, 2008

Races, races, everywhere I turn!

The Ontario Ultra Series (OUS) started with my first race last weekend and the races continue until the middle of October. There are 13 races that I could enter between now and then but I'll probably do at least 1/2 of them. That works out to at least 1per month. The best part is that because there are so many available races, I don't have to do long training runs. Instead I can run shorter distances during the week and then focus on the races.

For example, next weekend I will be doing a 50K race. Unfortunately it won't be on trails but it will still be nice to see many of the familiar faces that I saw at the Seaton race. I will use this race as a tune-up for my 100 mile race which comes at the end of May. In between these races I will do some shorter trail runs to stay in shape.

Today I had the pleasure of teaching a client how to run. She did an amazing job and I can see her eventually doing longer runs in the near future. Today reminded me of the first time I ran. I didn't have the proper shoes or clothes and I didn't know anything about what kind of running form I should do. Maybe that was a good thing as I simply fell into what "seemed" comfortable for me. I know that the biggest trick to running is to relax and try not to become too mechanical. As my client progresses through each hurdle that I give her, I know she will begin to get even stronger and stronger. Who knows, maybe she'll complete her own 50 Mile race someday.

Great work Karen!

No comments: