Thursday, April 10, 2008

Seaton is starting to become my 2nd home

I just completed another great trail run this afternoon and that makes 3 trail runs in the past 5 days. The weather was amazing and once again I was over-dressed. I took a look at the forecast for the 19th of April and it looks like it will be 14-17 degrees celcius which is just the kind of weather I love to run in.

I have been having a hard time sleeping the past few days. I'm not sure if it's because of my race or the detox that I'm doing. As with bad weather, though, I just roll with the punches instead of trying to fight it. When I finally did get to sleep last night, I had a dream about my race (of course it had to be right?). It was more of a nightmare than a dream actually, as in the dream I ended up sleeping through my alarm.
When I finally got up and looked at the clock it said 7:00 AM. There's only one problem. My race starts at 7:00 AM. I rushed out the door, barely had time to get my fuel belt etc. and ended up running to the race and then running it (I live about 7 KM's from the start of the race). All I kept thinking about was the fact that I only have 12 hours to complete the 78 K and I already was behind schedule (LOL).

I was so freaked out when I woke up that I think I startled my kids. I told my 2 boys about the dream and then I told them that daddy is going to have 3 alarm clocks set to wake him up on race day. They thought that this would be a good idea.

I noticed during my trail run that my energy level was a little lower than normal. I started the run at 1:40 PM and had my Isagenix shake at about 12:30. I also had 1/2 banana just prior to the run as I knew the run would use up most of my energy that I had consumed up to that point.

When I do my cleanse, I know that I'm probably exercising more than most, but I don't want to alter my life too much in the process.

The total calories consumed during the "shake" days ranges from 1100 to 1300. The total calories I burn when I run usually is also in that range. Therefore, the net effect is that I'm taking in zero calories on the shake days. Considering that I should be consuming anywhere from 2000 to 2500 calories just at rest and that's not a good thing. During the cleanse days, the total calories consumed each day was approximately 300 while I burned 1000 to 1200 calories during my run each day. This made the net effect a minus -700 to -900 calories just through exercise and food consumption.

Doing this type of high intensity exercise coupled with such a low amount of calories consumed is not recommended for an extended period of time but I have a very good handle on what my body can and cannot handle and I've been conscious about watching my blood sugar levels to make sure they don't drop too low. When I set up the plan for my individual clients, I make sure that I also pay very close attention to their exercise days and supplement extra food where I feel it is warranted.

In addition, after the cleanse is over, I'm very careful about transitioning then back into a regular plan again. The reason is that I don't want to put their bodies into too much shock. Going from the last two cleanse days where you are consuming so few calories to a "regular" eating plan is something that should be done by someone who has the experience in this matter. Not only am I qualified to do so professionally, the fact that I have done the cleanse myself, gives me an advantage over those who have not.

No comments: