Monday, March 17, 2008

A very special running route

Yesterday I talked about how I decided to run 2 loops instead of one long loop. Sometimes I have to challenge myself mentally because when it comes to running, it's more mental than physical.

Running past the same streets twice is hard but there is one stretch of road that is extremely motivating and heart wrenching at the same time time. As I turn down Westney Road from Rossland, there's about 2 K's until I reach Kingston Road. This part is extremely fast as there is a slight downhill as I'm running. About a 1/2 Kilometre from Kingston Road there is a poll with about 50 stuffed animals taped to it. I know that it probably is a reminder of a child who had died. Everytime time I run past those animals I tap my heart and blow a kiss to the monument. I think back to my fiance who died and how she's probably watching me as I'm running.

Yesterday as I ran past this monument for the second time I once again tapped my heart and blew a kiss. This time I got a wave and what I perceived as a thank you from someone who saw me do this. There can't be much worse things in life than to lose a child and as I was running I thought about how lucky I am to have two amazing boys.

When I'm running my race next month, I'm sure I'll think back to yesterday to keep me motivated.

No comments: