Sunday, March 02, 2008

I HATE quitting

I spent most of yesterday trying to fight off my cold but in the evening it seemed to get worse. I had trouble with my breathing and when I finally went to bed I started to get night sweats. Before I went to bed I stubbornly set my alarm for 5:00AM just to see if I could make it out for my long run. I ended up getting up earlier than that (4:00) but I turned off my alarm and decided to go to bed. I eventually got up at 5:30 and was still undecided about my run.

The one thing that kept bothering me was the fact that I have run through just about all kinds of weather conditions including rain, sleet,freezing rain, thunderstorms, wind gusts etc. and none of these have prevented me from running. I hated the fact that my body was letting me down and that bothered me. I knew that if I didn't at least try to do a long run today I would be miserable. I would have felt like I quit and that is something that I have a hard time dealing with. I then thought about my race in April. What if I'm feeling this way on the day of the race? Would I quit then or at least try and run for as long as I could? For me, that answer is a simple one, I would try my best.

After having a good chat with my kids this morning, they knew that I was going to go for a run. They actually didn't seem surprised even though they knew I was clearly feeling under the weather.

I managed to get in a nice long run of over 2 hours which was my goal. The run was tough at times as I had a hard time running up the hills as I was constantly trying to get in as much oxygen as possible. Overall, though, I was proud of the fact that I didn't quit. I know that I'm my own worst critic and though others may have encouraged me not to run today, I knew that if I didn't run today I would have let myself down and that's something I don't like to do.

No comments: