Sunday, March 16, 2008

2, 10.5 mile runs are not the same as 1, 21 mile run!

Today for my long run I decided to do my usual 10.5 mile run twice. This meant that I would have to pass by my house and go out yet again for another loop. I purposely decided to do this because I know how mentally challenging that is. However, for my race in April, I'll have to get used to doing the same route 3 times. What makes it mentally tough is coming to the end and knowing you have to myself out for another 2 loops.

What made today's run tough was that I know my route so well that I could probably run it blindfolded. There are certain parts of the route where I know I only have a little bit left to go and I can push myself because my house is so close. When I finished my first 10.5 miles, I actually went into my house, refilled my water and electrolyte drinks and headed out. I didn't want to stay more than a few seconds because I didn't want my mind to even consider stopping.

The second loop was certainly more difficult as the winds really picked up. I'm happy to say that I finished the run and didn't take any shortcuts along the way (although it was tempting at times).

No comments: