Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Getting stronger and stronger

I just finished a very good 10+ mile run this morning (5:45 AM)and I feel so much better than last week. I felt like I could have run forever, (having both lungs working properly sure does make a difference).

During my run I talked with Ken about the mental prepartion needed for the type of race I'll be doing. He is training for his first 100 Mile race so he can relate to what I've been doing with regards to training. There is going to come a time during the race where I'll second guess myself. I'll wonder if I trained enough. I'll wonder why I'm doing this in the first place. I may even tell myself that there is another race I should try a month from now. These will be the kind of mental hurdles I'll have to overcome and there is absolutely no way to prepare for them.

Pain is the other thing that I'm going to have deal with. After my run on Sunday my calves were screaming because they were so tight. Most of that had to do with the fact that I stopped running so it will be important for me to keep myself moving during the race in April. If I stop for too long I know I'll start to tighten up. My only hope is that I don't cramp up but because I'll be running at a more relaxed pace, I'm hoping that I won't suffer from cramps.

Whatever illness I had has slowly started to fade and my cough is becoming less and less an issue. Now all I need is some warm weather!

No comments: