Thursday, March 27, 2008

Memories during my moonlight stroll

I don't think it's an accident that the route that I always run has so many people that have influenced my life living on it. Whether it's old relationships or just casual acquaintenances, there seems to be so many familiar houses that I have to run by. As I run by each of these houses, I can't help but think back to the people who have touched my life.

From the woman who's most responsible for me finding my passion, to the woman who helped me when I was going through a tough time during a particularly bad break-up. My running route runs along the perimeter of so many of these houses and I can't help but wonder what is going on with their own lives now.

Whenever I run early in the morning it is so quiet as there are hardly any cars on the road. I can get lost even more in my thoughts during this time and I really feel the presence of Ingrid, my fiance who died years ago, watching over me. Sometimes I can almost feel a gentle push if I'm feeling tired. It's by far my most enjoyable time to run and everything seems to be in focus for me.

Unfortunately, today was one of the last early morning runs I'll be able to do for some time and I'll have to switch to running in the afternoons for a few days each week. It's definitely not my preferred choice but as I tell my clients, you have to make getting in shape a priority in your life or you will never achieve your goals.

I'm hoping to do a trail run tomorrow and then a long run on Sunday. I'm going to stop doing weights until my race is over so that I can drop a few pounds and be lighter for the race. Even though I feel tighter as a result of doing weights, I also know that I've put on a few pounds of muscle in the process. The last thing I want is to carry extra weight during my race so I'll focus on trying to drop about 5 pounds between now and April 19th.

No comments: