Sunday, March 30, 2008

Making history versus repeating history

Whenever I interview a new client I ask them about their goals. When the issue turns to a specific weight that they want to reach, I always ask them how long it has been since they were at that weight. I do so because I want them to think back and remember a time when they were that weight. I want to trigger some positive feelings about how they felt about themselves during that time. There usually is a pause and I can tell that they are putting themselves back in time to when they were most comfortable with their appearance (whether it is a weight goal, or specific size of clothing or even just feeling like they had more energy). Being able to recall positive times in your life can be so important and can give you the momentum you need to achieve your goals.

I try not to dwell too much on what happened between the time they were most happy about themselves and the present because I know that they have already beaten themselves up more than anyone else could possibly do. I want them to realize that they can achieve what they once had because they have done it already.

When it comes to my running, there are times when I can recall old races and feel good about the fact that I can finish any race up to 50 K's in the trails. However, so much of what I'm about to accomplish is unknown and that is where it becomes a real mental battle. I cannot look back to a similar race because this is the longest race I've ever decided to do. I can take solice in the fact that before I started running, doing a 25 or 30 K race was something I had never done before and I was able to do that without too much difficulty.

My main goal for this race is just to finish so I'm not putting any added pressure on myself to complete it in a certain time. I try to go into each race with 3 goals. One being a realistic goal, one being a goal that I'll be very pleased with and one that is a dream goal.

During these two days of rest I've been replaying the Seaton trail terrain in my head over and over again. It's like I can see every branch, every long hill and every stump. I picture myself running ever so slowly across the muddy ground. I picture myself walking up the longer hills and talking to many of my ultra running heroes along the way.

Next Saturday I'll be running in the OUS Spring Warm-Up. It's a "casual" race meaning that there will be no chip-timing, no bibs and no medals handed out. The main reason for this race is to get all the trail runners together for a meet and greet and along the way there will be varying distances from 10k, 20k,28k, 38k or 48k (I'll probably opt for the 28 or 38 K). I'll be using this race to pick the brains of as many runners as I can as this will be my last run before I begin my taper program.

I also ordered my 9-Day Isagenix Detox kit today which I will start on April 6th and finish on April 14th. This will give me 5 days to carbo-load for the race on April 19th.

No comments: