Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Trying not to "overthink" things can be hard when you are sick

Whenever I get sick I realize that my emotions take a beating as well. It probably has something to do with my inability to run because, for me, that really controls my feelings. Without running these past two days, I haven't been able to process things that I would normally process on the roads while running. If I'm not careful, that could lead to feelings of depression/sadness. When your immune system is compromised I really think that it has a a trickle down effect on the rest of your functions including your moods.

I've been trying to stay as positive as possible and have rationalized my sickness as my body telling me that I need this week to rest. With my race 6 weeks away, I know that physically and mentally I'm ready and a few days off will not only not hurt my race, it may actually help.

My training started in late December and I haven't missed a scheduled run until this week. That translates into a minimum of 5 days per week. Every week that went by I felt my body getting stronger and stronger and it culminated with my 36 run about a month ago in one of the worst weather days I've ever experienced running in.

After 2 more great weeks of running I hit yet another milestone when I ran with a friend in St. Catharines for 5 hours. With only 6 weeks left, my training called for a slight dip in mileage for the next three weeks and then another long run about 4 weeks out from the race. Even though I have been beating my body up physically, I have had no injuries to worry about. However, I'm a big believer in the "Running Gods" so I think this is a sign from them to slow down a little, catch my breath and prepare for the final push until race day. From everyone I've spoken to, they all feel like I'm physically ready to run this race and I believe that I am as well. All that's left is for me to build a little more confidence and get more rest. Because I'll be resting the last week before the race, that leaves me with 5 weeks of actual running. Looking out the window today, I'm glad that my illness came when it did because running in this weather wouldn't have been much fun.

No comments: