Saturday, March 29, 2008

One rest day down, one to go!

It figures that the weekend I decide to take off from running turns out to be one of the better weather weekends we've seen in quite some time. That being said, I still didn't have an uncontrollable urge to go running today. I did lift some light weights and did some core training but nothing too strenuous. My body and mind are both starting to heal nicely as I expected them too.

This weekend is the Around the Bay 30K race in Hamilton. It's a race that I've done the previous 2 years and is a race that if I didn't have my upcoming 50 mile race in 3 weeks, I probably would have done again. When I decided to run my first Marathon in 2006, I used the Around the Bay race to prepare me for the Marathon. It was a good stepping stone as the body usually hits the preverbial "wall" after about 30 KM's.

Fast forward to 2 years later and I'm now routinely running Marathon distances or more, for training runs. It's amazing to me how my body has responded to running these long distances on a regular basis. I would have been pleased with running 50 KM's per week during trainig but now if I don't run about 60 Miles (100 K's) per week then I see it as being a "letdown."

I really don't know what I'm capable of down the road but I always said that I would never attempt to run a 100 Mile race. Then again, when I first started running I'm sure I said that after running a marathon (26.2 Miles) I would never run anything longer than that so who knows right?

No comments: