Wednesday, March 26, 2008

It's getting harder and harder to stay motivated

Maybe it's all those months of training, maybe it's the crappy weather lately or maybe it's that my race is coming up so soon. Whatever "it" is, it is wearing me down lately. My legs seem heavier than they've felt in a long time. Each time I go out for a run it seems as though I'm challenged by something. Today it was the ice-covered sidewalks which forced me onto the roads once again. Amazingly enough, some cars actually moved out of the way so I could have a few feet to run on.

I remember that when I was training for a marathon, there came a point where my body said enough is enough. I think that's where I am right now. Given the fact that I have routinely run more than a marathon for a training run, I suppose it makes sense. While I know how much I hate tapering, (reducing the amount of times I run) I know that it's almost time for my body to get a long rest and prepare for my race.

However, knowing how much I love to run, if I seem more moody,upset, sad, angry or any other emotion I can't think of right now, I hope you'll understand that's it's because I won't be running. During the last few weeks leading up to a race, and this is the biggest challenge I've ever given myself, I tend to go into hibernation. I'll try to remember to come out from time to time to say hello!

2 comments:

Jennifer Hartley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jennifer Hartley said...

I know it has been awhile but after reading this I had to let you know that I have been running everyday. I gave up on the gym because of some issues I had with them. But the bigger loss was what I had accomplished. But one of the things that has pushed me back into get back into shape again, is you.....on those days that you dont feel motivated just think of all those you are motivating and have motivated, cuz I am one of them! Jennifer