Saturday, March 15, 2008

The official countdown starts now!

Unbelievable! 5 weeks from today I'll be running my first 50 Mile race in the Seaton Trail. What that means is that I really have 4 weeks of actual training left as I'll be resting for most of the week leading up to the race.

The main focus between now and April 19th will be to stay focused and healthy. I'm contemplating doing another Isagenix Cleanse two weeks before the start of my race. That will allow myself to mentally get prepared and drop a few pounds at the same time.

I find that these can be the toughest weeks before a race because by now I better be properly trained becaue 4 weeks just won't do anything but build upon the running "base" that I've already developed. Each week I've increased my mileage and then the last three I've brought it down a bit. Tomorrow and next weekend will be the longest runs until the race and I'll use them to build more confidence and inner strength.

I'm hoping that the weather will finally start to get warmer as that will be the best reward I can have for all of my hard work. I've been running in so many different clothes combinations that it will be nice to just wear a pair of shorts and a t-shirt for the race. I'll probably have to change my outfit a few times during the race, especially my socks. I'm anticipating the worst with regards to blisters, sore feet and hips and I find that the more I can mentally prepare for the pain I'll be going through, the better I'll be come race day. It's not a question of "if" I'll feel the pain it's a matter of "when" it will happen. One of my favorite trail running quotes is, "if you feel good during an Ultra don't worry, it will pass!"

No comments: