Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Please forgive this rant.......

I'm tired, wet and extremely upset. When I woke up this morning I didn't realize that we received yet another dumping of snow. Now, this obviously wasn't anything close to what we received this past weekend but for a runner it was more than enough today.

I quickly realized that running on the sidewalks was going to be extremely difficult which meant I had to run on the roads. I've gotten used to running on the roads even though there is an element of risk involved. I run towards the traffic so I can see the cars heading towards me. This should work however I've realized that drivers have their own agenda when it comes to runners. I've come very close to being hit more than a dozen times and I've come to the realization that I will be hit at some point. The reason I believe that is simple. Some drivers will purposely try and run me off the road. Others are too busy talking on their cell phones to notice a runner or anything else in front of them. Then you have the drivers who seem bent on coming as close to hitting me as possible before quickly turning their vehicles. Maybe they are jealous because I'm actually getting some exercise early in the morning while they are stuck in their cars.

There are a few drivers (they probably are runners themselves) who actually go out of their way to move far away from me when I'm running on the roads. I always give them a wave and thank you when they do this.

I know that before I started running I probably didn't pay as much attention to runners than I do now and this is a plea to all of you who read my blog. Please be aware of your surroundings when you drive. If you see a runner and you have room to move out of the way please do so.

Today I came very close to being hit a few times and I wanted to shout out to them that these are my roads to! Then again, they probably wouldn't care. End of rant!

No comments: