Monday, March 10, 2008

My life without running.......no thank you!

This past week I got a small glimpse of what it was like to not be able to run. Granted, I knew that at some point I would be running again so that helped but I quickly confirmed what I already suspected and that is I NEED to run.

Running doesn't make my life suddenly "better" but what it does give me is a chance to be alone with my thoughts. This in turn allows me to process things in my life that normally I probably wouldn't do. It forces me to use my brain and to call upon my inner strength for help and guidance. It teaches me discipline and structure and makes me pay close attention to my diet.

Most people who don't run like to say that runners are "running away from something." I prefer to think that I'm running towards something. What that "something" is a better "me." I know that when I'm running I'm a much happier person and not only do I attract positive people but I feel that part of my enthusiasm rubs off on others.

I felt very strong today during my run and although I still have a slight cough, it wasn't enough to deter me from running. It was very cold (minus 18) but there wasn't much wind. Much to my surprise and joy, all the sidewalks except for one small stretch, were ploughed. Besides almost getting hit by a car (something that seems to happen almost daily), it was a great run. My main focus today was just getting my body back into running shape and I feel that the days of rest really seemed to help. As my race draws closer, I know that these are the weeks that I need to become as mentally focused as possible. If I try to think about running 50 miles it becomes too overwhelming so I'm going to break the race up into smaller segments. That will allow me to mentally focus on just one section of the race at a time.

No comments: