Saturday, March 01, 2008

To run or not to run, that is the question......

After taking yesterday off from running to do some weight training I was prepared and excited about my runs on Saturday and Sunday. All of a sudden, in the middle of the afternoon I became very ill. My head felt like lead and I quite literally thought I was in an episode of the Twilight Zone. It didn't help that I had to watch my 2 boys and they of course wanted my full attention. I spent most of the evening either on the couch or in the bathroom. I took an aggressive approach and loaded up on some Isafruits (very high in antioxidants) and some Neo-Citran as well as some Advil (a runners' favorite candy).

Friday night with the boys means movie night, and I stayed awake with them for as long as I could (11 PM), dozing in and out along the way. I had no idea if I was going to run today or not. Like the weather this past week, I decided to let my body be my gauge.

Without missing a beat my body got up at about 3:30 AM, I fell back to sleep for a little bit but eventually got up around 4:00 and decided to see what I could do. I prepared myself as I usually would and at least the weather was in my favor today (a "balmy" minus 4 degrees, with little wind).

When I left my house my intention was just to do a light run as I have a longer one tomorrow and there's no sense in pushing it too hard today. The sidewalks were of course not ploughed yet, so that forced me to run on the major roads. Thankfully there weren't too many cars on the road at 5:00 AM. Unfortunately the roads were not much better than the sidewalks and this made for a rather tough run. I gutted out about 5.5 miles (just under 9 K's). The hardest part of the run was realizing how tough it was to cough and run at the same time.

Today probably wasn't my greatest run in the world but at least I made it out. I am getting so tired of running on snow and ice and cannot wait until I can just put on a pair of shorts and t-shirt and head out the door. Those days seem so long away now.

Tomorrow I will attempt to do a 2.5 hour run. I'm thankful that I don't have to do an even longer one as I'm not sure if I could do it. It was interesting how my mind was working today during my run. I know that the conditions of the roads had more of an impact on my running than being sick did. Sometimes you have really look within yourself and figure out if you are helping or hurting yourself by pushing yourself when you are not at 100%. I think that this comes with experience and I know that 3 years ago, when I first got into running, the decision today would have been much different. The only way I'll know if I have done more damage today is by how I feel the rest of the day and tomorrow.

No comments: