Friday, March 14, 2008

Inspiration through perspiration.......

I often think that if I was overweight but still educated in nutrition would my clients listen to what I have to say? I know that I probably wouldn't. In my opinion if you don't "look the part" then it's hard to make me believe what you are saying. You could have all the knowledge in the world but when it comes to talking about nutrition and exercise, you better be a good example yourself.

While I still have yet to achieve all my fitness goals, I believe that I try very hard to set a good example for my clients. What I'm most proud of is the fact that many of them have no idea how old I really am. One of the most flattering things happened to me about a month ago when a 20 year old thought that I was in my early
20's. To say that that comment made my day is an understatement.

Running certainly keeps me looking and feeling young and the extra weight that I've lost hasn't hurt either. I'm also very committed and focused on my goals, my upcoming race for example. I'm very good at not letting outside distractions get in the way of what I want to do. It's all about setting priorities and sticking to a plan. There really is no substitute for hard work and I'm not afraid to put in the time and effort needed.

When I hear my clients complain about a lack of time to exercise, most of the time I'll use myself as an example. There are times when I HAVE to run at 5 AM or I simply won't be able to. I know how important my training is to me so I don't view it as a sacrifice. I'm very quick to relay my own situation to my clients so that they are aware of the obstacles I have to overcome. Nobody is immune to having a "busy" schedule. I've heard every excuse imagineable but the bottom line is that excuses will always prevent you from achieving your goals. Stop making excuses and make a plan instead!

No comments: