Monday, March 03, 2008

Obsessive or dedicated?

Therein lies the question with regards to my running. Maybe I'm a little bit of both? I know that if didn't have a race in April, it would have been easier to not run this past weekend and get some extra rest.

I went through the better part of 36 years of my life being anything but a type "A" personality. Since I started running, however, I can see a little bit of that type A coming out, especially when it involves my running. I am extremely focused and very protective of the goals that I'm trying to achieve. Whenever I pick a race to train for, there really isn't anyone or anything that will prevent me from my training. It may mean that I have to re-organize other parts of my life, but the bottom line is that I know I will be prepared as much as possible for whatever race I'm training for.

It really comes down to how much I want this and the vision of my hobbling/walking or hopefully running through the finish line in April is enough to keep me motivated through these training runs. I simply know that these are a means to an end. I have a plan and I follow it. It sounds so simple and yet I can easily get confused with being someone who is obsessive.

I'm still feeling the effects of the weekend but two bowls of homemade soup (thanks Alleth) really seemed to help. I would love to be able to just sleep the day away but there are too many things to do. I did take a day off from lifting weights so I could sleep in a little longer today. When it comes to lifting weights, I have no problem missing out on a day. Even though I know it is helping, it's still so much easier to take a weight training day off as opposed to a run.

Tomorrow I will hopefully feel better and I can resume my training.

No comments: