Tuesday, July 31, 2007

You KNOW you are a trail runner when........



Here are some observations I've discovered about myself since I've returned to my "roots" aka trail running:

1. If I don't get at least one long run in the trails each week I feel like a grumpy bear!

2. If my shoes aren't wet and or muddy then I don't consider it a trail run.

3. Running slowly in the trails doesn't guarantee that I'll escape injury free (hitting my head on a tree branch, tripping over rocks or tree stumps or twisting my ankle....all of these have happened at some time btw) but running fast in the trail has always resulted in an mishap of somesort for me.

4. Running with friends on the roads is good but having them run in the trails with me is even better.

5. I STILL get lost running in the trails.

6. I look down more running in the trails than I do on the road but at least I don't have to worry about getting hit by a car or bus (I've come very close to both of these happening to me).

7. When running downhill on the trails I feel like my 5 year-old and dodging boulders, stumps etc. is something that I look forward to.

8. There's no shame in walking the large hills because it will save my legs for the rest of the run. When you are out running for 2 hours plus (Haliburton will be 6-7 hours) does a few minutes of walking make that much of a difference?

9.I don't mind starting my trail run at 6 AM because it means that I'll get to start the day off on the right foot!

10. All I can think about is running a 50 Mile trail race someday soon.......

No comments: