Sunday, July 29, 2007

One of my best 1/2 marathons ever!

Today wasn't about me and how fast I was going to run the Whitby 1/2 Marathon. Instead, I gladly took a backseat and along with a friend, I paced another friend who was trying to get a personal best (PB) for the 1/2 Marathon.

It was simply an amazing day from the moment we started running at 7:30 until we finished a few hours later. For the first time since the Scotiabank 1/2 Marathon in 2006, my only thoughts were on trying to help this person reach her goal. The heat made it hard at times but she toughed it out nonetheless. Watching her battle her own demons along the way and still overcome them, was inspiring to see.

I seem to be in such a better place with regards to my running and it felt great to run a race for someone other than myself. I'm sure at times she was probably wishing we weren't there, but I know that she realizes that we were trying to motivate her.

With just under 1 KM left in the race she picked up her speed and crossed the finish line ahead of what she wanted and the look on her face made it so special for me.

My next two races I'll be running at different speeds but I won't be trying beat any speed records. I'll also be helping a friend try and qualify for the Boston Marathon in the fall of 2007 and I may do another Marathon for "ME" in November of this year.

Congratulations Maureen and thanks for everything that you have done for me these past two years!

No comments: