Saturday, July 21, 2007

A "mini" dress rehearsal run today

I wanted my trail run today to simulate the running "style" that my friends and I will employ for our 50K trail race in September. What that meant was increasing the distance from the usual 9K to 18K and also significantly cutting down the speed that we usually run at. This required some discipline as I walked instead of ran up the major hills but I also finished the run feeling like I could have run longer. In fact, as I type this I could easily go out and run again.

This was the perfect way to get my body ready for not only the Haliburton race but also the 32K ITT race in August. With another run scheduled for tomorrow (30K) and with my weekly mileage approaching 90K, I feel like my body is beginning to get ready for my upcoming races. The key to getting ready for these type of endurance races is increasing the time spent on the course instead of increasing the speed. Even with my reduced speed I managed to take a little fall but hey, it's the life of a trail runner and I'm glad that I can call myself that once again.

No comments: