Monday, July 30, 2007

Do something outside for a change of pace!

When I first started running I remember how much I started to really dislike doing anything inside such as lifting weights. There is something liberating about being outside and having different things to look at besides 4 walls or the TV screen in front of the treadmill.

I find it very difficult to do any type of cardio inside such as the treadmill, step climber or exercise bike. I'm proud to say that poor weather has never stopped me from running outside and this includes snowstorms and thundershowers (OK, maybe not the smartest thing but I was already outside running before the lightning came).

For someone who used to be afraid of being outside in the winter time, it's hard to believe that I have no fear of running when the temperatures dip below freezing. I do, however, prefer the weather we are experiencing now to what we'll face in the winter.

My morning runs usually start with the sun just rising over the horizon. The feeling of warmth that I get from the sun while running is something that I eagerly look forward to.


Sunlight can also help us in other ways. Vitamin D can be made from within our bodies after exposure to sunlight. Vitamin D is important for calcium absorption so being outside has a nutritional benefit as well.

You don't always have to workout with weights in a stuffy gym, especially this time of year, to burn calories. During my bike ride yesterday I saw hundreds of people at Rotary Park and it was great to see so many kids riding their bikes along the path or playing in the park. It made me feel great knowing that I hadn't wasted a day being inside on such a great day. So, go outside and enjoy a nice walk, run or bike ride tonight when you get home from work you'll be glad that you did.

No comments: