Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Thank goodness for great friends!

Today was my 20K run and I was originally going to have to run it alone. While I don't mind running alone, and sometimes actually need to, having company when you know you are going to be out there for just under 2 hours certainly helps. When I got a call yesterday saying that my friend was going to run with me it certainly made me feel better. Then, later in the day, I found out that another close friend would also be joining us. We are all preparing for our very first 50K trail race, so the more running we can do together the better prepared we'll be for that race.

I've been spoiled as of late as I haven't had to do to many runs on my own so the thought of having to do this one alone would have been hard. When we started out at 6 this morning, I was feeling the effects of not having enough sleep. Having company today was something that I definitely needed and I'm not sure I would have had as much fun without my friends along.

Running with a group of people allows you to talk about your running with people who truly understand the highs and lows that we experience as runners. It's nice to know that you are not alone with regards to aches and pains and that we all suffer from being tired from time to time. People who don't run I think sometimes assume that running for us is easy and that is furthest thing from the truth. We all have internal battles that we must overcome but I truly believe that runners are able to win most of these battles. I also think that it has a trickle down effect on other aspects of our lives.

When we started out today all three of us were a little tired but towards the end of the run we all felt amazing. I couldn't have asked for a better way to start the morning!

No comments: