Thursday, July 19, 2007

A fantastic "Me" run this morning

This week I've been lucky to run in the trails with a few close friends and also a 20K with another friend. Because I've been running with my friends more, I've noticed that my runs are much more enjoyable as I'm not running fast all the time. There are times though, that I enjoy running on my own as well as I can listen to my music and get lost in my own thoughts.

When I awoke this morning, I knew that I was going to run on my own and the fact that it was raining made it even more special. There is nothing I like better then to run in the rain with a big smile on my face. I get a kick out of the drivers who watch me and who are probably thinking that I'm crazy to be out there. They have no idea how much I enjoy running in the rain.

When I run on my own, especially on a day like today, I can really clear my head of any negative thoughts I'm having. It's almost like I'm leaving any unresolved issues on the road. I can also develop a clear thought plan as to what my goals are and how I can achieve them. I also think about my kids and what their lives are going to be like and how quickly they are growing up. When I get close to my home I begin to slow down as I want to prolong the end of the run for as long as I can. Luckily for me, I have another run planned in a few days.

Tomorrow I'll take a day off from running. In the past I've used this day to ride on my exercise bike for an hour or so but lately I've needed a day off or two from any type of exercise so my body can rest. With two long runs planned for the weekend (20K trail on Saturday and 30K on Sunday) I'll need to make sure my body is ready for that kind of work.

No comments: