Monday, July 16, 2007

Creating a positive "aura"

I firmly believe that we all carry around an "aura" which is either negative or positive. For example, if I go to the mall I can easily pick out the people who are positive or negative. It's how their posture is, body language and facial expressions. I do my best to avoid these people at all costs. I call them energy vampires because they will literally suck the life out of you. We all know the saying "misery loves company" and these people would rather bring you down than pick you up.

Likewise, I can spot positive people very easily and I do my best to gravitate to them. They wear a positive "halo" that is both captivating and contagious. They welcome other positive people because that is how they continue to remain positive.

This doesn't mean that these people don't suffer from bouts of depression or sadness, but what it does mean is that they don't let it consume them. They are more interested in trying to find a solution instead of dwelling on why they are sad.

I count myself very lucky to have so many amazing friends who are there for me and who I know I can count on when I'm feeling down. No life is perfect but if you can surround yourself with positive people who you can count on when the chips are down, then you will learn how to deal with the down times in a constructive manner. Sometimes it's just having someone to listen to you. Other times you may need someone to motivate you to exercise more or make healthier food choices.

Isolation is probably the single most common problem that I see with my clients. Our minds like to play games of self doubt with us and it's those times that we need to have people around to help us get out of our funk. True friends will realize this before you do and will offer a lending hand or ear before you ask. I've been described as an open book by most of my friends so they know how I'm feeling without me even having to say anything. Running allows me to dump any negative feelings that I have and when I'm finished a run I have a much better perspective on things.

Whatever you outlet is, try to remember that people are watching you and you never know who's life you may influence by your actions. I still get overwhelmed when I hear people tell me that I have inspired them to run. To me, running represents much more than just a physical activity and so I guess that's why I take it so seriously. I call it my "entertainment" and I make sure that I don't compromise this for anything.

I hope your search for positive people is a successful one because you will enjoy your life much better when you find more of these people.

No comments: