Thursday, July 05, 2007

Unbelievable

Those of you who know me understand that I try not to get too upset but for some reason what I saw on television yesterday really made me mad.

I was watching the sports telecast and one of the stories they "highlited" was a hot dog eating contest. Since when did this become a "sport." I couldn't believe the amount of time they dedicated to this. Is this what we want to see? I thought that sports involved some type of physical activity? There are many courageous stories I see at my local gym everyday that would inspire people to make healthy choices.

During my run today I kept thinking about why this bothered me so much. Maybe because it's something that I would never consider doing myself. Last week I was asked by the trainers at my gym if I wanted to participate in an egg roll eating contest. The look I gave them I'm sure made them realize that they shouldn't ever ask that question of me ever again.

At the end of this telecast the "winner" ate over 65 hot dogs and they stated that the "average" person consumes 65 hot dogs per year. If that's what "average" is then I'm proud to say that I'm not "average."

No comments: