Sunday, July 22, 2007

Running 30K is never "easy" for me

Today I, along with some great friends, ran 30K along the Ajax/Pickering waterfront trail. Most of us are training for either a marathon a 50K trail race or both. During our training for these events we must increase our long runs to at least 30K and beyond. The goal is to teach our bodies to be out on the road/trail for over 3 hours so when the race comes we are well prepared.

I'll never forget the feeling of running my first 30K during training a few years ago. I actually had to run this on my own and it was one of the toughest runs I've ever had. Thankully, it was the last time I've had to run a 30K alone during training. As tough as that run was, I was able to get through it and it made me a better runner as a result. I had no idea about pacing and I remember keeping a map of my route in my back pocket just in case I got lost.

The key to running 30K or more, in my opinion, is not to "think" too much about it. This may sound silly, but as soon as I realize that I'll be running for 3 hours or more, my mind will try to talk me out of it. Instead I will break up the run into segments of 10K. This makes it more reasonable and even though I'm ultimately running 30K by the time I'm finished, having mini goals make it more palatable.

This has been one of the best running weeks I think I've ever had as it included doing 2 trail runs (seeing deers along the way)3 long runs, and a great "Me" run. What made it special was not only the people I was able to run with, but also the fact that I made a conscious effort to slow my running down. In the past, I would have probably ran the last 4K of todays run at a fast pace and would have felt the effects immediately afterwards. Today, after my run I felt energized and only had a litte soreness in my hamstrings.

I'm sure next week will be just as rewarding as it will include more trail runs, as well as a 1/2 marathon race where I will be pacing a friend but it will have to be something to top this weeks runs.

No comments: