Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Are you hitting the "wall" with regards to your progress?

Several of my clients are experience some setbacks with regards to their goals. This usually happens when they have been following the same training and nutrition program over a prolonged period of time. Our bodies are amazing machines, but unless we are constantly being challenged, they will fall back into a pattern where little progress is being made.

When I first started running I was able to drop weight very quickly but now my body has figured out my "normal" pattern of training and my weight loss is minimal at best. The only way for me to see much improvement is to change either my speed or distance. As I train for my 50K trail I've been running at a reduced speed and my focus is on improving my endurance. Without even trying, I realized that as a result of this change in training philosophy I've dropped a few more pounds.

With regards to having setbacks with weight loss, it probably means that you need to change up your training. The last thing I ever recommend to my clients is reducing the amount of food they consume. Instead, I like to encourage my clients to increase the amount of time they are exercising, changing the equipment they use and/or increasing the intensity of their training sessions.

Instead of using the same piece of cardio equipment that you usually use, try to do something else (maybe even go for a run). Take an objective look at your training and diet regimen. Are you pushing yourself enough so that you see results without injuring yourself? I can't tell you how many people I see at the gym who continue to do the same thing day in and day out and see very little progress. That is one thing that still puzzles me to this day. They are the people who still haven't figured out the importance of training intensity and/or proper nutrition. I always think how much further they would be if they understood this important link. The truly sad thing is that all it usually takes is making a few changes to their diet and within a week they see that their digestion, energy levels and sleeping have all improved. When I see my clients make that connection, it makes me feel like I've done a good job.

No comments: