Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Injuries, what's an injury to a runner?

Today's 20K run at 6 AM was a tough run for myself and 3 of my friends as each of one of us is recovering from some sort of injury. These ranged from swollen ankles, bloody knees, sore hips as well as muscle soreness and fatigue.

It was evident, from the beginning, that today was going to be a struggle and even though we started out early enough, the heat made it tough especially going up some of the big hills. It seemed to take about 5 KM for me to get into a comfortable rhythm.

However, as sore as we all were, I know that none of us would have missed this run because we would have felt worse had we not gone out. I'm lucky to have such amazing runners as friends as they do a great job of keeping me motivated and they have the type of inner strength that is so important for running. I think that we feed off of each others' strengths and none of us wants to let ourselves or each other down.

By the time the week ends, I will have run for 7 consecutive days and 12 out of the last 14. By doing back to back long runs of 20K+, I'm preparing my body for my upcoming 2 endurance races in August and September. We all talked about how nice it will be to have the weekend off from running this weekend. I'll TRY to take it easy this weekend but that will be difficult especially if I see someone running on the road while I'm driving.

However, I understand the importance of taking time off to heal my nagging injuries so I'm sure my body will be thankful for the rest. My mind, on the other hand, will be asking me why I'm not doing the thing that I love the most. Let's hope my body wins this battle of wills!

No comments: