Thursday, November 01, 2007

If my shoes could talk, what would they say?

After a fun night of taking my kids trick or treating, I got up at 4AM today for my morning run. Getting up today was a little difficult but what kept me going was knowing that I was going to be running in a new pair of shoes which I purchased from the Running Room on Wednesday. I've had the same shoe (Mizzuno Alchemedy) for the last year and a half. I've tried using several other brands but these are the ones I love the most.

I always know when it's time for a new pair of shoes because my plantar fasciitis gets progressively worse.

There's something special about that first run in my new shoes and today was no different. At about the 5 KM mark it felt like something was stuck to the bottom of my right foot. It wasn't a rock or pebble and although it was annoying, I wasn't in any pain so I kept going. Everytime I pushed off with my right foot it seemed like the bottom of my foot was stuck to my sock. My first thought was that there must be a hole in my sock and I was feeling my insert. It's those little things like holes in your sock which can become very annoying when you are running. With still another 6 KM's left to go, I had no choice but to just keep running. Eventually I just blocked out this feeling but I couldn't wait until I got home to see exactly what this was.

When I took off my right shoe, my sock was covered in blood, much to my amazement. That "sticky" feeling was the bottom of my foot stuck to my blood covered sock. I looked around for the cause of this and noticed that I had a blister in between two toes. I usually notice these things but for some reason I didn't even realize I had one.

I've been pretty luckly lately as I used to lose toenails and have blisters on a regular basis but this is the first time I've had something like this happen. Of course it figures that it would happen during my first run in my new shoes.

I usually change my shoes every 3 months or every 600 to 800 KM's. I have a separate pair of trail shoes as well as my road shoes and I usually average 50-70 KM's per week, so you can see why I need to change my shoes regularly. Each of my shoes have unique stories within them ,and whenever I eventually get around to donating them I'm a little sad to say goodbye. These new shoes that I have now already have a first story to tell. I wonder what the next 790 KM's will look like?

No comments: