Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Every run is different

Coming off a really nice run with Ken yesterday, today I went out on my own for 13KM's. The route I do is so familiar I could probably run it blindfolded. Even though I have done this route over one hundred times in the past 2.5 years each time out is different. Some days the Westney hill is tougher than others while other times the run from the corner of Hwy 2 and Harwood to Rossland, seems to go on forever.

I'll usually pass at least 1 or 2 people walking and another half-dozen people waiting to go to work in the bus shelters. Each time I pass by them I always wonder what they are thinking. I hope that some of them decide to become more physically active as a result. I know that whenever I don't run and I see other people run it inspires me to run so hopefully I'm having the same effect on them.

Lately I've been seeing plenty of rabbits early in the morning and as crazy as it sounds, I even had one rabbit run beside me for a few metres one day (of course I let him win.....lol).

You would think that running the same route over and over would eventually get boring. However, the great thing about running is that the one variable I have no control over is the weather. Unlike running on the treadmill, which I won't do, when you run outside you are forced to deal with the elements. There are some conditions which make my 13K run very difficult such as strong winds or others when the temperatures are in the mid teens which makes it great for me to run in.

For those just getting into running outside, try to not to focus too much on the running itself and just enjoy the fact that you are outside getting an amazing workout. Most of the really good runners that I know are the ones who block out the fact that they are running and try to think about anything but running while they are out there pounding the pavement. I know that if I had to think too much about running the same route everyday it would eventually get to me as well.

No comments: