Saturday, November 10, 2007

My longest run since Vulture Bait

It's hard to believe but today's 16 KM run was the longest I've run since early October when I did my 25 KM trail race in London.

I'm flirting with the idea of doing a 10 Mile race in November and another one in December and then start to train for my 50 Mile trail race next spring.

The hardest part about running 16 KM's is that it's what I call the "in-between run." I didn't have to use any gels as I opted to bring along an electrolyte drink instead (Hammer) but I didn't take enough walk breaks as I usually only do that when I'm running 20 KM's or more. The one disadvantage of running alone is that I don't stop frequently enough so that's something I have to get better at. I also ran faster than I should have to make it count as a "slow run."

Tomorrow I'll do another 16 KM's but will really try and concentrate on taking more walk breaks and also slow my pace down somewhat.

I'm going to gradually add a few KM's to my long runs each week and try to do 2 of them back to back. One of the keys to running long distance is to increase endurance and when I was training for the 50 KM run in Haliburton, I ran back to back long runs and I believe this really helped to prepare me for that race. I've been looking at several running plans for completing a 50 Mile race and most of them stress the importance of running back to back long runs.

No comments: