Monday, November 19, 2007

Quality vs Quantity

Did you ever have one of those mornings where you just couldn't decide what to do with regards to working out? Well, that's the kind of morning I had today. I went to bed early last night with the intention of getting up at 4 AM and going for a 5-6 Mile run. With my race coming up this weekend, there's no point in running too much, which I've been guilty of doing in the past. Instead, I want to focus on doing short, quicker runs. As I got up, though, I kept thinking about how nice it would have been to take another day off from running, then run 3 days and take the next two off. I kept second guessing my decision to get up and that was making me angrier and angrier. This went on for about 5-10 minutes before I finally got myself out of bed and went for the run.

I know that if I hadn't gone today I would have had to do something later in the day but I also know how much I hate working out/running in the afternoon. The run today was one of the better ones I've had and I think it had much to do with taking the last few days off. I also think that the weight training I've been doing has helped to strengthen my legs a little more.

My goal for this week is to stay healthy and just do some short mini-tempo runs and then rest for 2 days. It's taken me a long time to realize this but I do know now how important it is to have quality runs instead of just doing lots of long runs every week.

When it comes to my goals for the race I have three of them:
1. Ultimate Goal - This would be my personal best for this length of race.
2. Acceptable Goal- This is my time range that I've set for myself.
3. Anything less than this Goal- If I have a "bad" race I still better not finish worse than this time or I'll be disappointed.

Because I haven't done any speed work I feel that #1 is most likely not going to happen so I'm concentrating on #2.

No comments: