Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Turn your "desires" into "goals!"

The difference between a desire and a goal is that a goal is more definitive. For example, my desire, since I started trail running was to complete a 50 KM race and then a 50 Mile race. It wasn't until I picked a race, however, that this desire turned into a goal.

I was able to follow a specific training program which brought me up to my goal of the Haliburton 50 KM trail race in September.

I knew that once I had completed this goal that another one would be right around the corner and that is to complete a 50 Mile race. I've picked the Sulphur Springs 50 Mile race in 2008.
http://www.ouser.org/races/sulp.htm

All I have to do now is register for that race once and then find a training program. Most of the programs I've seen are 6 months in length which means that my training will have to start in December.

As a tune up for my training I've decided to run 2 races in the next 2 months. Both are 10 Miles in length (Whitby 10 Miler, Novemer 25th and Boxing Day 10 Miler in Hamilton). I've done both of these races in the past and had a great time doing them so I'm looking forward to doing them.

I haven't done any speed training in a long time and with the Whitby race less than 2 weeks away, now is not the best time to start. Instead my goal will just be to do the best I can on that day. Between now and then I'll just continue doing what I've been doing and then rest for 2 days prior to the race.

No comments: