Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Breathless

It never ceases to amaze me at just how amazing I feel after running in the trails and today was no different.

My friend and I decided to either run from his house for a 10K or meet at the trails. The deciding factor was going to be rain. Thankfully when I got up at 5 AM to check the weather there was no rain in the forecast so it was the trails.

Running at 6:15 meant that the first part of the run was going to be in the dark but thankfully Ken brought an extra headlamp for me so off we went. The headlamp worked very well and after about 1/2 hour the Sun began to rise and we didn't need them anymore.

There came a point during the trail run, as it always seems to, where a gentle calm comes over me and I realize how special it is to be running in the trails. Today's moment came when we were on the bridge. Ken calls it the "Stand By Me Moment" and as we ran across the train tracks high above the trails the scenery around us was simply amazing. I guess there is an element of risk as we run across the bridge but that's actually the last thing I'm thinking about.

I'm thankful that the rain held off and that we were able to get in a great run. It's the best way I can think of to kickstart my running week.

No comments: