Sunday, November 11, 2007

Runners everywhere today

During my run today I noticed more runners than I usually do. Obviously the colder weather didn't deter too many people today. I even passed the same runner twice as I guess we were doing opposite loops.

As the weather turns colder don't be afraid to run outside. When I first started running it was towards the beginning of fall. When I look back, I can't believe what I got myself into. For me, the winter months meant one thing....hibernation! I used to hate being outside in the winter so how was I going to go for a run in sub freezing temperatures?

I think what helped me most was the fact that I was in a running clinic and our goal race was the 2005 Boxing Day 10 Mile race in Hamilton.
The members who were in that clinic were very encouraging as I didn't know the first thing about what to wear while running in the snow. I still tend to overdress too much but I hate starting out too cold.

The months of November, December and January of 2005-2006 were cold months but I can't remember not going out for a run because of the weather. I do remember coming home from one run and having to put my hands in warm water immediately as I could barely feel them but beyond that, the running was fine.

There are many runners who actually prefer to run in the colder weather and while I'm not one of them, I do like the challenge that running in the winter presents.

No comments: