Saturday, November 03, 2007

Wow, that was a wakeup call

I just finished my run in the Rouge Valley and it made me realize the difference between running on the road vs the trails. I picked up my friend on the way to the Rouge and she is the one who did so amazingly well at the 50K trail race in Haliburton. We both have done different races since then but she hadn't been on the trails since that race in September. We both commented today on how difficult the run was today.

Just as there is a big difference between running on the treadmill (YUK) and outside, there is even a bigger difference between running on the road and running in the trails.

Since my 50 Mile trail race is still months away, I'm glad I have time to build up my endurance and conditioning over the winter months so I won't be winded by the time that race comes up.

Just being in the trails today, though, was an amazing experience and there were so many people walking their dogs (one was even walking her cat) that I couldn't help but smile at them as I ran by them. There were leaves everywhere on the ground which made for softer footing but at the same time covered over some rocks. This forced me to make sure that I lifted my feet high off the ground to avoid any tumbles, which thankfully I did.

Tomorrow it will be back to the roads for 16-20 KM's but I need to ensure that I get in at least one trail run per week. Today made me realize that more than ever.

No comments: