Monday, November 26, 2007

Unforgettable

Yesterday was one of those days which I'll bookmark in my memory bank and use it when I need to have my spirits lifted up.

The race day started off a little different because of the later race time of 10:00 AM. I was only able to eat 1/2 banana and a cup of tea before I left my house. I also had to drop my kids off at their swimming lessons and then head to Whitby for the race.

It was a little colder than I thought so I decided to wear my tights, a long sleeve technical shirt and my jacket. This race had grown in attendance each year and this year was no different as there were over 143 people entered into my race. There were others doing various races such as 5K run/walk and 10 K run/walk.

Just before I started the race I took a sports gel which is something I've never done before a race. It seemed to help as I was able to sustain the pace that I wanted for most of the race. The only part of the race where I slowed down was when I hit a strong headwind towards the end of the race.

By far, the best part of the race came with about 100 Metres from the finish as I spotted my kids. My plan was to have them run with me towards the finish line. Just knowing that they were going to be there motivated me through the tough parts of the race. As I turned the corner I picked up some speed and my kids were able to stay with me for most of it. Unfortunately my youngest was having a hard time so I slowed down to wait for him. As I did this and turned around though, I slipped on some ice and took a nasty fall. However, not even a cut hand and knee could stop me from having a huge smile on my face as my kids and I finished the race hand in hand.

I was surprised at my time as I hadn't trained for this race properly which is why I'm probably feeling more sore than I would normally feel after a race. I'm taking a much needed day off today but will resume my running again tomorrow. My 50 Mile training program is right around the corner and this race helped me get ready mentally for the training that I will be doing.

No comments: