Sunday, November 04, 2007

Sometimes you just have to run

I guess my body's internal clock didn't get the memo that the clocks were being put back by one hour because I got up at my "normal" time this morning (6:00 AM). The plan today was to meet up with some friends at 8:30 and do a medium run (12-15 KM's). After getting up that early though, I knew that I couldn't wait that long as my body was saying RUN now! I tried to fight off this urge for as long as I could by adding some new songs to my MP3, but this proved fruitless and eventually I went out on my own for 15 KM's.

I've found that my best time to run is within the first hour of getting up. If I wait any longer than that I feel out of rhythm. I've become such a creature of habit and I don't like deviating from what has worked for me. My routine includes a cup of green or regular tea and 1/2 banana. I find that anything more than that will causes discomfort.

My children said that they saw me running this morning which is something that really pumps me up. I've always believed in showing by example. Whenever I get a chance to let my kids see me running I'll take it. I'm hoping that my enthusiasm for running has a positive effect on them although I'm very mindful on not pushing it on them. My oldest did say that he wanted to try and do cross country running at his school next year. Of course I'll be there cheering for him.

Because I was overweight as a child, whenever I see a child who is overweight it really upsets me. My immediate thought turns to the parents and I wonder what they are teaching their children and what kind of example they are leading for them. It's so easy and tempting for parents to give into their child's wishes for McDonalds instead of teaching them the importance of eating healthy foods. Children are exposed to so many stimuli from commercials to magazines, and very few of them taut healthy eating and exercise. It's our jobs as parents to create a healthy atmospher for our children to thrive in. Are you doing everything you can to ensure that?

No comments: