Friday, July 18, 2008

You need to find what moves you

Part of what I love most about my job is the interactions I get to have with my clients. There isn't a day that goes by where I'm trying to inspire, motivate or investigate what makes my clients "tick." I would say that the majority of the clients I see go to the gym because they feel that it's the only way that they can get some legitimate exercise. There are those who really do love going but I can probably count on both hands the number of clients who fall into that category. No, I would say that one of the biggest struggles I have is trying to convince them that they must do some sort of exercise daily in order to achieve their results. I hate to burst everyone's bubble but 3 days per week is not going to get much results unless their diet is 100% accurate and very few people have the ability to do that.

It really doesn't matter what type of exercise you do as long as you find something that you like to do. Opening yourself up to new experiences is the real key I believe. It may happen when you join a sports team like volleyball or basketball or maybe individual sports such as tennnis or badminton are your thing. It may be as simple as taking your bike to the rotary park and biking for an hour each night. Whatever it is that you choose, make sure you understand that this needs to become a regular part of your life. This will ensure that not only will you get your goals you will be able to maintain them.

Yesterday I decided to stray away from my comfort zone and ran a different route. Fortunately I use google maps to outline the route that I wanted to go. Unfortunately google maps doesn't account for road closures due to construction. I ended up having to double back to find my way home.

I've been lucky to have run in rain for the last two days. Today was a weight lifting day in the morning and then I'll be running in the afternoon. I think I'm getting a little "itchy" for a race but with nothing planned until August 9th, I'll have to settle for some long runs in the Seaton Trail.

1 comment:

Marci said...

There is a Whitby Half next weekend. Not ofroad, race non the less. Or there is always the Jay Challenge, although it may be sold out. Thats what I am doing.