Tuesday, July 08, 2008

I don't need to go to the zoo to see nature......



Part of what motivates me to run in the trails instead of on the roads is that I get to be up close and personal with nature. Today was yet another example of that. Sure it's tough getting up at 5 AM to go for a trail run but it's also an amazing way for me to start my day. Just minutes into my trail run we came across a deer. He stared at us for what felt like minutes. Finally, as we walked closer to it it ran off. It never ceases to amaze me at how lucky I am to see things like that. Whether it's seeing a deer, beavers or turtles, it makes me appreciate life more and more.

The other favorite part of my trail run has got to be the run across the railroad bridge high above the Seaton Trail. Sure, there's the added element of danger as a train could come by at any time but it's not something I think about. As I'm running across the bridge and look down at the water, see the trees and the nature around me, I can't help but think that I'm lucky that I get to start my morning off this way.

Before long the trail run ends and I'm left with this feeling that I want even more of it. It's like a positive drug, I suppose, and I can't wait until I get some more of it. So, you can have your zoos, I'll take a run or walk in the Seaton Trail or Rouge Valley instead. Discovering nature is more exciting than having it handed to you.

No comments: