Thursday, July 10, 2008

Passing along my gift to others


I was given a gift about 3 years ago by an amazing person and now I'm able to do the same to others around me. I'm sure that most people who know me can attest to the fact that it's hard for me to contain my enthusiasm for running. At any point during a conversation it seems that I'm looking for a way to interject and add a running metaphor. Most times it applies and it surely is how I define myself. It's still hard to believe that I've been able to do so much in such a short period of time. What strikes me most is the amount of people I've been fortunate enough to meet since I started running. I've met people from all walks of life and have even had a chance to run with the former Minister of Finance. Running truly knows no boundaries and I've been welcomed by a host of individuals and it just keeps getting better and better.

Today I taught one of my clients in my learn to run clinic. This woman has done an amazing job and continues to impress me each week. We are now fully into the 10 minute run and 1 minute walk. Hearing her talk about her goals this morning literally gave me chills. I know that she and anyone else can achieve anything they put their minds to. I have not met a person who I feel cannot run unless they have already given up in their own mind (outside of an injury of course). If you are defeated in the mind then running will never be for you because most of it is mental.

Our minds constantly try to talk ourselves out of doing something, even if it's something that is healthy for us. The people who I run trails with are some of the most mentally tough people I know. Most of us are not the fastest of runners but we compete nonetheless because we love being out there in the trails. Knowing that it might take us twice as long as the winners, you would think that it becomes even more difficult to get motivated. Then you realize that the real competition is the one that takes place between your ears and suddenly it becomes a whole new ballgame.

This weekend my thoughts will be all about running in the Seaton Trail with some amazing friends. This will be our "mini-race" as we don't have a real one for 4 weeks. The best part will be when we all sit around afterwards and talk about how much fun we had in the trails. I can't imagine a better way to spend the weekend.

No comments: