Sunday, July 20, 2008

For those about to run.....I salute you!




I wish I could truly describe how magical it is for me to run in the rain. Then again, maybe that's the point. Something that provides me with this much joy, shouldn't have to be explained, it just IS and that will have to suffice.

My 14 mile run started north along Church street and took me to Concession #5. I've been trying to increase my hill work and that certainly happened today. I headed East on Concession #5 up two hills, one of which is affectionately known as "puke hill" (for obvious reasons). I've been practicing doing "criss/crosses" while running up hills and this has really helped. I do short choppy strides and go from one side to the other instead of charging up the hill. I've noticed that I can maintain better speed this way and my focus shifts from the top of the hill to just running from side to side. It's almost like I'm cross crounty skiing up the hill if that makes sense.

After running up those two hills I come to Westney Road where I go North. I pass Greenwood conservation park, Taunton Road and then come to Williamson Road where I go East. This takes me to Harwood. There is another hill climb from Harwood to the Rossland and then I continue North along Harwood until I come to Ringer street. I head East on Ringer until it takes me to Salem Road. From Salem I run to Highway 2 and then from there I go West to Westney Road then Westney back to Rossland and then back home.

I saw a few other runners today and they also seemed to be enjoying themselves running in the rain. Throughout my 2 hour plus run today, it rained continuously and I loved every minute of it. Whether you run long or short distance, for fun or for competition, it's something that you know you enjoy doing and you can't seem to get enough of. Therein lies the difference between a runner and everyone else. We are a special breed of people, not easily defined by words. Our passion lies in our ability to push ourselves further and harder than before. Our goals are only limited by our imagination. Above all else, we define ourselves as a runner first and that's what makes us special.

No comments: