Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Forget Monday......



I say throw away Mondays because my week truly starts on Tuesday. For me, it has more to do with kick starting my running week with an amazing 6 mile run in the Seaton Trail. It certainly has all the elements that I love about trail running including soft terrain, technical climbs, a closeness to nature and because I run at 6 AM, some truly breathtaking scenery as the sun starts to rise. Today I had to deal with rain which I love, but running in the trails in the rain is far more challenging and fun than running on the roads. My trail shoes are muddier than they have been in quite some time and thankfully they have held up amazingly well. After going through pair after pair of Brooks Cascadias, I'm glad they have modified their shoe because I'm able to run in these without having to worry about them ripping at the sides.

Trail running will always be my first love with regards to running and each run is completely different from the one before. I never know what I'll encounter in the trails which makes it something to look forward to.

Running in the trails certainly helps to build up my core strength as the constant up and downs of the trails forces me to be more precise with my running. If I start to get lazy on the trails with my running, which can easily happen on the road, I know that I'll likely take a tumble. It's starting to get a little easier for me to let go of the fact that I may fall, twist an ankle or worse. The more I worry about that, the less I'm concentrating on just enjoying the fact that I'm running in a place where I love. There are lots of runners who will not run in the trails because they feel like they cannot go fast. Trail running requires you to let go of that need to always worry about speed and instead allows you to just run like you would if you were a kid again. Unfortunately many of the road races that I've done haven't grasped that concept as they are too competitive for what I want right now.

I'll gladly run a slow trail run over a fast road race any day of the week, which for me, starts on Tuesdays!

No comments: