Sunday, July 27, 2008

A night to remember

After running in the rain during my 3 hour run at the Seaton Trail earlier in the day, it was time to put my focus on someone else. Last night my first running client completed her very first 5K race at the Whitby Waterfront. Watching her get ready as the race approached, reminded me about how I felt going into my very first trail race. So many thoughts went through my head, most of them were questions about what I was doing. Even though she was properly prepared, our mind tends to create self-doubt by bringing up negative thoughts. So much of running is having a strong mental foundation so I was glad that she was able to focus on the race itself.

We kept a nice even pace throughout and she did an amazing job of following my instructions and finished very strong towards the end. Many people who know that I do Ultra Marathons will ask me why I'm teaching a learn to run group. The reason is simple. I get great job by helping people find their passion in life. Many have followed my lead and are now running themselves. It really doesn't matter if you run for 5K or 50K but what does matter is that you enjoy what you are doing.

My client is already thinking about her next goal we will resume our training next week. I'm sure she had a tough time sleeping last night and I hope that she celebrated her achievement in high style because she deserves to!

Way to go Karen, I'm so proud of you!

1 comment:

KarenMacfarlane said...

Making the decision to lern how to run was one of the best decisions I made for myself. 12 weeks of Greg's Learn to Run Clinic starting at 1 min of running 2 min walking progressing each week until I reached 10 min running and 1 min walking and my very first 5 km race. I am now a Runner. The personalized pre run meal plan a week before my race gave me the nutrition and energy I required. My weight training tht week was better. Nutrition, Nutrition, Nutrition is so vry important. Thanks for your patience, professionalism and expertise in nutrition counselling and running. The journey continues, next goal 10km.
Anyone can learn to run.
My Motto-Want it, Own it, Do it.
Karen