Tuesday, July 01, 2008

A chip off the old block

After finishing my 11 mile run today I still had plenty of energy so I decided to bike to Whitby to see my kids. I promised my oldest that we would go biking together and he was so excited when I got there. He didn't just want to go biking, he wanted to bike back to my house. To put things in perspective, I live in Ajax near Church Street which is about 8.5 miles away from his house.

The quickest way to get back would be to travel along Bayly to Harwood, Harwood to Rossland and then Rossland to Church Street. While this is the quickest way, it isn't necesarrily the safest way. Bayly is a single lane road and my son hasn't been biking that long on the major roads. After thinking it over I decided to let him do it.

He followed all the instructions I gave him and did an amazing job. Once we hit Harwood we were able to ride on the sidewalk which I was happy about. He only had to stop two times as his legs were tiring. I had the biggest smile on my face as he kept pushing himself along the way. I knew it was going to be tough for him but I was so proud of what he did. It took us about 1 hour and 20 minutes to get home and he said he wanted to do it again.

This is one Canada Day I'll never forget!

No comments: